The National Center for Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Educational and Training Institutions is one of the main pillars of the reform and development of education in Libya, it aims to build and develop a comprehensive national system for evaluation, quality assurance and accreditation of all educational and training institutions, public and private, in order to develop the educational and training process, to reach the highest levels of quality, efficiency and excellence guided by international standards, the center also is responsible for spreading and promoting a culture of quality, setting and developing local accreditation standards (institutional/programmatic) in line with international standards. it is authorized to accredit educational and training institutions to improve their outputs and increase their competitiveness locally and internationally, and it is the body responsible for recognizing foreign educational institutions, and equalizing the academic qualifications issued by them with their corresponding national qualifications.
Memberships of the center
The center aims to build and develop a comprehensive national system for the evaluation, quality assurance, and accreditation of all educational and training institutions, both public and private.
Leadership in the quality of education, and excellence regionally and internationally.
- To continue to spread the culture of quality, continuous development, evaluation, and accreditation, in addition to providing guidelines and technical and training assistance.
- To provide counseling, advice, and guidance to educational and training institutions that have not achieved the required levels of quality in the elements required to be accredited.
- To establish and implement the foundations, standards, and conditions of academic evaluation and accreditation, and to amend and develop them.
- To publish information and data related to accreditation for the purposes of awareness and scientific research, and to make such information available to parties and individuals who wish to view it.
- To cooperate with Arab and international accreditation and quality assurance bodies.
- To encourage the spirit of competition between educational and training institutions in order to improve the educational process by defining it and recommending its reward.
- To introduce society and its different institutions to the status of educational and training institutions by preparing detailed periodic reports about them.
- To prepare and carry out training programs for the center’s human resources in line with the nature of their work.
- To prepare the national framework for academic qualifications in higher education to ensure their compatibility with the academic qualifications granted by the corresponding institutions outside of Libya.
- To develop electronic management in the administrative, financial, and service works of the center.
Foundation of the center
The Center was established by the former General People’s Committee Decree No. (164) of 2006, under the name of “Center for Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Higher Education Institutions”, its functions and name were amended by the former General People’s Committee Decree No. (129) of 2009, to “Center for Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Educational Institutions” to include schools, universities and higher technical institutes. The name of the center has been amended to its current name “National Center for Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Educational and Training Institutions” in accordance with the Education Law No. (18) of 2010. The Center currently exercises its competencies in accordance with its organizational structure approved by Resolution No. (52) of 2015.
Tasks of the center
The center works on designing, developing and implementing a comprehensive system of evaluation, quality assurance and accreditation in educational institutions, in order to develop the educational process to reach levels of efficiency and excellence, enabling it to raise the level of its graduates, and push research and knowledge contributions in achieving the goals and requirements of development and competition in the local, regional and international labor markets, by spreading the culture of planning and self-evaluation through the development and proposal of general policies for quality in the audits and accreditation processes of educational and training institutions, within the framework of an integrated internal system for educational and training institutions that ensures competitive educational outcomes, and accurate processes for the equivalence of scientific and foreign certificates.